Chapter 2 Analysis: Creating a Professional Identity

In chapter two, there was much more new material than I had expected, putting social
media into personal terms. Through the lens of our own social media channels, we
were able to see the virtual interactions we have with friends, family and friends of
friends form into an online personality. With my relatively fresh background in
marketing, I found it interesting that interpersonal communications are relatively
similar to how social media is used to benefit a company.

As someone who does the majority of my job searching on Linkedin, I found that
section the most compelling. The strategic use of keywords in the summary section to
increase drive to my personal page was something I will be adding to my account in
the near future. The new Creator Mode was something that was new to me, but as I
begin building up my portfolio of work writing five newsletters monthly, it is certainly
going to be a valuable space moving forward.

As someone who is wildly passive of social media, the etiquette section was a bit
redundant. It was the basics that have been handed out since middle school, but also
an absolutely essential facet of maintaining a healthy social presence. If there was any
area where I could use some work, it would be the separation of professional and
private accounts. I use my twitter relatively irregularly, for both hockey news and
keeping up with Kerecis. At some point it would be best to make another account, to
keep the two feeds from being mixed.

In all, I enjoyed chapter two, and if there is one thing to take away, it is to remain
consistent. Post, share other media, and comment consistently.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6 Analysis: Thoughts on Twitter

Week 10: Live Tweets from Columbus!

Week 13: Tournament Tilts and Winter Weather