Week 4: Confines and Concessions

 As the weeks have rolled by, it has hit me once again how small and isolated Ada truly is. Living and working in Northern Virginia this summer, it seemed I always had something I could go do. Whether it was the art museums, the National Mall, or even exploring the area; I always could find a place to fill my time with. Luckily, there are wonderful people at Northern, and my life has come to take an emphasis on them.

This week, I got to spend a big chunk of time with my team lifting and working the concession stand for other games. In doing this, we have are able to fundraise for the program, get to know eachother better, and begin building the essential bond needed for success in sports. I spent a good portion of the time chatting with Andrew Reimer, someone I have been close with, but had yet to get the opportunity to truly catch up with him.

My highlight of the week is a somber one, as it was our team stair run in memory of those lost on 9/11. Sunday morning at 7:45 we all met at the stadium; and as a group who was either not alive or far too young to remember, we listened to our coaches share some of their memories from the time. At 7:59, when American Airlines flight 11 left Boston, we began climbing the 110 flights of stairs ahead.

In about 20 minutes time we had all wrapped up our runs. When leaving the stadium I had a constant reminder in my head that the struggles I face daily are small in comparison to what tens of thousands had to face that day.



Comments

  1. I’m happy to hear you spent a great time with your teammate. The bond of your teammate looks so nice and I can see you guys have a lot of passion for the sport from the pictures! I don’t play sports now but I played as a team when I was in high school so I can feel the friendship of a team. I hope you enjoy playing sport and having a good time with your teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great read, and I liked what you had to say. In the beginning you mentioned that Ada has nothing to do, I see the beauty in that. Even though there are few things to do in town, you can still find fun. It might take a step on the creative side to keep yourself constantly busy, but it is easily possible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 6 Analysis: Thoughts on Twitter

Week 10: Live Tweets from Columbus!

Week 13: Tournament Tilts and Winter Weather